The jewel of Syros and the emblem of island’s cultural growth, was built in 1862-1864 by Italian architect Pietro Sampo. Its design was influenced at least by four Italian buildings. One of them is La Scala Theatre of Milan. It sustained severe damages during the 2nd World War. Since 2002, within the theatre can be found the “Memory Place”, that holds exhibits such as posters, the piano of composer Michalis Sougioul and costumes from several shows.
© Antonis Lemonakis